Thursday, March 11, 2010

Quick frustrated note

I don't care how "sexy" your bike is.  If it has a squeaky, grinding drivetrain, that trumps it all and makes your bike worthless to me.  The same thing goes double for fixed gears.  Just because you only have one cog doesn't mean you don't have to keep your chain clean.  The intermittent squeak of a poorly kept fixed drivetrain is very distinctive, and just thinking about it creeps me out. 

Silence in a drivetrain is nirvana. 

Just trust me and clean your bike every now and then.  If you have a rediculously expensive or "customized" whip, then pay someone else to do it.  I don't care, I just don't want to hear you from 3 blocks away.

1 comment:

  1. "Silence in a drivetrain is nirvana." Amen to that...and doubly so if you can afford one of those $7,000 dentist bikes you mention in your other post. Every time I see some DB on a $5000+ bike with sloppy shifting and grinding, gritty chain I want to slap the shit out of them...for the bike's sake of course.

    ReplyDelete